Yoga for Climbers
Through my experience rock climbing, I’ve noticed a common problem area in climbers. This is the disassociation from training on the wall and training off of the wall. As climbers we’re the first to train our pull muscles, fingerboard, and of course spend a lot of time on the wall. However, we rarely spend time on areas like mobility, flexibility, mindfulness and therefore injury prevention and the ability to have true longevity in doing our sport.
The Rock and Soul Membership is a an online studio and membership community to support your rock climbing through movement, mindfulness and mobility practices wherever you are in the world. Through my experience as a personal trainer, movement and mobility coach and yoga teacher this portal will serve as a place to coach you through climbing specific movement and mobility techniques. Meaning you can train as hard off of the wall as you do on the wall.
We know that to be a stronger, more adaptable and more efficient climber, we HAVE to train our flexibility, mobility and strength. This is as well as prioritising quality recovery. Not only will this make us better at performing on the rock, but it will also make us less susceptible to injuries, meaning ultimately we can climb stronger for longer. For the avid climber this has to always be our ultimate goal; longevity to do what we love for longer.
Want to increase your flexibility, mobility and movement ability on the rock but not sure where to start?
Yoga for Climbers by Kim Hartwell (founder of Rock and Soul Adventures) is a 6 week Online Course specifically curated for the needs of rock climbers.
What Will You Get Out of This Course?
Through the principles of movement, yoga and mobility this course aims to help you to:
- Access a toolbox of mindfulness techniques to allow you to tap into your Flow State both on and off the wall. By Accessing this state you will be better prepared to perform better on the rock making more logical, calm and focused choices in the face of challenges that we will inevitably face.
- Give you an array of anatomically targeted flows and mobility techniques to help you both maintain and increase flexibility and mobility in the joints. Specifically focused on how these can directly increase your climbing ability and thereafter performance.
- Show you movement and strengthening push techniques to help you to counterbalance overused pull muscles commonly seen in rock climbers. By implementing these principles it will help to ensure you are a more rounded athlete and leave you less susceptible to injuries.
- Increase your body awareness from a 360 viewpoint with particular emphasis placed on how we can efficiently activate and effectively strengthen, lengthen and mobilise muscles needed for climbing.
- Help you to increase your skills in balance and coordination for movement both on and off of the rock.
What This Course Includes
- +30 videos (including introduction to each) of short, medium and longer yoga flows to suit your schedule
- More than 12 hours of yoga/movement flows
- Modules and videos broken down into anatomical sections with specific detail as to how climbers can improve their flexibility and mobility. All teaching guidance and written content is tailored to the specific to the needs of rock climbers.
- 6 week program with options for beginners/intermediate and advanced yoga students.
- A 60 page interactive E-Book explaining each module, flow and how it relates to our ability to move on the rock efficiently.
- 6 bonus videos including additional mobility and conditioning drills specifically designed for climbers.
- Community support in our Rock and Soul Online Training Facebook Group only for members
You will receive access to all of the yoga flows (with options of short, medium or long durations) broken down into anatomical focusses. The accompanying interactive 60 page E-Book covers the below topics as well as detailed information about the biomechanics behind the how, what and why behind what we’re doing and how it applies to climbers specifically.
SECTION 1: INTRODUCTION
SECTION 2: WHY CLIMBING AND YOGA ARE THE PERFECT FIT
SECTION 3: COURSE MODULE OUTLINE
SECTION 4: HOW TO STRUCTURE YOUR LEARNING
SECTION 5: THINGS WORTH KNOWING BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
SECTION 6: KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION TO HELP YOUR LEARNING
SECTION 7 – FOUNDATION FLOW BREAKDOWNS
SECTION 8 – PRE AND POST CLIMB FLOW AND MEDITATIONÂ BREAKDOWNS
SECTION 9 – SHOULDER FLOW & POWER SHOULDER FLOWÂ BREAKDOWNS
SECTION 10 – HIP AND POWER FLOW BREAKDOWN
SECTION 11 – SPINAL FLOW BREAKDOWN
SECTION 12 – ANKLE AND FEET FLOW BREAKDOWN
SECTION 13 – HANDS AND WRISTS FLOW BREAKDOWN
SECTION 14 – CORE FLOW BREAKDOWN
SECTION 15 – DEEP STRETCH CLASSES – UPPER BODY AND LOWER BODY
1 x Lower Body Conditioning Workout
1 x Core Conditioning Workout
1 x Upper Body Mobility Video
1 x Lower Body Mobility Video
1 x Alternative Warm Up Flow
Who is This Course For?
The course is called Yoga for Climbers, but really, it’s a 6 week program for anyone that is seeking movement, has a desire to adventure, and looking for connection!
The course focusses on getting people fitter and stronger at home through yoga and movement ready to go out on adventure stronger, for longer!
Of course if you have any injuries or if you are pregnant, please check with your doctor before you sign up.
About Your Teacher
Hi! I’m Kim. Like you I’m an avid little adventurer! I’m a rock climber, yoga teacher, personal trainer, movement coach and the owner of Rock and Soul Adventures (rock climbing and yoga retreats). As an experienced personal trainer I’ve coached in Londons finest fitness studios and currently teaching Movement, Mobility and Yoga classes both online, in studios and all over the world on retreats.
Whilst living in New York I studied to be a personal trainer, qualifying with Â NASM-CPT (Certified Personal Trainer Level 3) and as a NASM-CES (Corrective Exercise Specialist Level 4). I also hold a 200 hour yoga teacher training qualification having studied in Sri Lanka with Quantum Yoga (200hr RYT). In addition to this I’ve undertaken many other yoga ad movement specific workshops and trainings, including with my mentor Celest Pereira who specialises in biomechanics and how it relates to our movement practices. Having studied also with Functional Range Conditioning (FRC) you’ll find I implement this into many of my training protocols.
I am a Lululemon ambassador but also work with some other of my favourite brands like LaSportiva, The North Face, VivoBarefoot, Adidas and Roxy. My passion is empowering people like you to feel strong in your mind and body whilst out exploring this incredible world we live in. Inquisitive movers, shakers and adventurers you are my people! Let’s have some fun on this course together.
Fancy a Little Preview of the course? Here’s a glimpse at what you can expect…